Saturday, September 11, 2010

Interconnections - Remember 9-11

I have wanted to blog some thoughts to share with others for a long time. It seems fitting to start today as I listen to the recitation of names in remembrance of those lost on September 11, 2001.

On that day, Linnea and I got a call for help from friends, and we were intervening with them when we saw the news on their TV. Over the next few days, we were relieved to find out that our friends were safe, and we were amazed at hearing their stories of deliverance. But over the next few years, we encountered many people who lost family and friends in the attacks.

The loss hit New Providence and other surrounding communities. The effects were compounded by many job layoffs at Lucent, AT&T, and other technology and telecom(interconnection) companies. I was laid-off from AT&T Labs Research along with over 400 other researchers.

A year after my layoff, I started working for Skarven Enterprises, a company started by several Cantor-Fitzgerald survivors of 9-11. We work to protect Americans from future loss. As I climb up the stairwell, I remember fire fighters scaling the stairs and people escaping.

Colleen Barret, president of Southwest Airlines, spoke at the Willow Creek Leadership Summit 2005. The vision of the company is to "open up the skies of America and give people the opportunity to live out their dreams." Her portrayal of the first Southwest flight after 9-11 brought me to tears.

In December of 2008, Skarven Enterprises became a Boeing company. This connected especially with me as I used to wake up as a child to the sound of Boeing jet engines in Renton, Washington.

As we travel, security delays should remind us that we wrestle "against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." We should reaffirm our commitment to fight for the wonder of flight, for connecting with family and friends, and for the living of our dreams.

I am glad to be a part of opening the skies of America.
I thank God for every heartbeat and breath.
I remember.
I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment